Rules for recreational drones
If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg, you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.
The list below is an overview of the new rules for recreational drone users.
Following the basic safety rules below will help keep people, aircraft and property safe. If you fly where you are not allowed or choose not to follow the rules below, you could face fines of up to $3,000.
Fly your drone:
- below 90 m above the ground
- at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels, and the public (if your drone weighs more than 250 g up to 1 kg)
- at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base, or areas where aircraft take-off and land)
- at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
- outside of controlled or restricted airspace
- at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
- away from areas where operation could interfere with police or first responders
- during the day and not in clouds
- within your sight at all times
- within 500 m of yourself or closer
- only if clearly marked with your name, address, and telephone number
COMPLETE SAFETY MEASURES
FROM TRANSPORT CANADA WEBSITE